Green Apple-Cucumber Salsa



When you cook as much as I do--or eat as much as anyone does--you begin to realize that there are certain foods you are very particular about.

I will divulge some of mine:

Strawberries, lemons, and bananas must be in their fresh form for me to like them. I don't enjoy banana chips, strawberry jelly, banana-flavored candy, lemon bars, etc.

On the other hand, raspberry-anything is fantastic.

I don't like quinoa for breakfast, but I love it for dinner.

Most anything baked with a streusel topping will cause me to close my eyes in delight.

Red delicious apples are not delicious. I feel like this is universally true.

Chocolate cake must be fudgy and moist to be edible. Basically, there shouldn't be anything "cakey" about it.

Sweet concoctions are generally better when they are heavy on the vanilla.

Many things are better when dipped in peanut butter.

I will most likely devour and thereafter rave about anything including cilantro, lime, or cucumber.

Fresh, chunky salsa is forever better than the jarred stuff.

Which brings me to today's recipe. A chunky, non-jarred salsa that tastes so fresh you'll eat the whole bowl in one sitting (which is absolutely what Chad and I did). I don't know if green being my favorite color makes me partial to green fruits and veggies, but this combination of green apple, cucumber, and cilantro is wholly satisfying. Squirt it with some lime juice and you've got yourself a fabulous thing to serve up on a warm night.

Are you convinced yet?

Okay, go try it.

But first, tell me:

What are your favorite salsa mix-ins?



Green Apple-Cucumber Salsa
from The Food Matters Cookbook

2 Granny Smith apples, diced
1 cucumber, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
juice of one lime or lemon
S&P

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.

Scoop up with tortilla chips, a spoon, or your open mouth.