A Last-Minute Dessert







































My good friend recently had a birthday and, at the last minute, we changed plans from throwing her a birthday dinner party to hosting a dessert night instead. Her request for a birthday treat? Something fresh.
I racked my brain for ideas. Whatever I made had to be really quick and simple, but I didn't want to just pick up a box of Chips Ahoy and call it good.
So I compromised: I bought half of it at the store and made the other half from scratch (with inspiration from here). The result? Absolute bliss--for the taste buds and the slightly frazzled hostess.

I posted a picture to Instagram before lighting the birthday candles,
and you beautiful people gave quite the response!

So here you are, my friends. The recipe for the easiest dessert you could possibly call homemade.
Eat your hearts out.
(And don't blame me if you make a batch of this whipped cream in the middle of the night and eat it all yourself.)

Chocolate Whipped Cream
recipe from here

2 cups (1 pint) whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form (about five minutes). Slightly harder peaks are better if you'll be using the cream to frost a cake.



Brooke's Birthday Dessert

one recipe chocolate whipped cream (see above)
one store-bought angel food cake
one pint raspberries, washed

Place angel food cake on a large plate or cake stand. Spread whipped cream on top of cake (the messier the better), filling in the center of the cake with whipped cream, too.

Top with raspberries and serve.

Happy weekend!