I've Got a Friend in Her / The Beauty of the Handwritten



Whenever I go to the mailbox, even if I'm not expecting anything, I feel a twinge of excitement that maybe, just maybe, there will be a handwritten letter there addressed to me.
In our world of Facebook and email, this rarely happens.
Goodness knows, I rarely write handwritten letters of my own.
The electronic equivalent is just so much easier and faster.

I think that's why handwritten things mean so much to me.
They rarely happen.
They take more time.
They take more effort.

The other day I got the most exquisite note in the mail from my friend Jessica.
When I saw it among the weekly grocery ads and credit card offers, my breath caught.

A postage stamp with wings showing the post office had given its stamp of approval.
An envelope with substantial texture and weight.
Her tidy, slender longhand written with a fine ink pen.
This envelope was not like the others.

I sorted through my thoughts, wondering if there was anyone Jess could be throwing a bridal shower for.
Didn't want to get my hopes up that she had sent something just for me.

And then I opened it.
Slid my index finger underneath the glued flap and slowly peeled it from the envelope body.

My eyes went wide.
Brown paper, and an earthy, nature-y note card that could only have been chosen by a true Washingtonian.
This note was true blue, through and through.

The message was quick and to the point.
But so thoughtful.
So perfectly targeted for me.

And there was a gift, too.
The brown paper was branded with the familiar logo of my favorite Seattle landmark: Starbucks.
Though I don't drink coffee, Jess knows that she and I share a love for that little shop.
Yes, locations may be strewn throughout the world, but our hometown coffee shop has been the place for many friend reunions, pre-football-game hot chocolate purchases, and Saturday morning breakfast stops.
Away from home, the warm smell of coffee beans hugs me with nostalgia and welcomes me in.

She knows me.
She thought of me.
And she took the time to show me.

So, my friends, my challenge to you is to pull out your ink pens, rolls of stamps, and fancy note cards you've been saving for a special occasion, and write to someone you love.

Write to them about how you admire them or how they've changed your life.
Or just to say Hi, I thought of you today.

I promise, it will absolutely send them soaring.
Thank you, Jess, for the encouragement I needed to sit a little straighter and smile a little brighter.
You're the best.