Top Ten Books Written In The Past 10 Years That I Hope People Are Still Reading In 30 Years


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Top Ten Books Written In The Past 10 Years That I Hope People Are Still Reading In 30 Years. That means books that have been released between 2002 and now, if you're very bad at math.

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. I really don't think there's any question about it: the Harry Potter books will be read for a long time. I volunteer at my library's bookshop, and if a Harry Potter book comes in it will be sold within a few hours. They're the only books I can think of that have been out for over a decade (at least the early ones) but sell so fast. I read the first book in school and I won't be surprised if other schools continue to do the same in the future.

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. With the movie out for a few months, The Hunger Games' popularity is at its height. While things will die down once Mockingjay comes out, I hope people will continue to read this book for years to come. This book could also be a good book to read in schools. 

3. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneggger. One of my favourite books, I think that this is a timeless love story that can appeal to anyone.

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This story about the power of words and a young girl who lives in Germany during the Third Reich should be read by everyone. You can read my review here

5. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. This book is so well written that everyone should read it, even in 2042. 

6. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. This book is kind of an acquired taste, but I love it. Weird thought: what if in 2042 this book had come true? 2042 seems so far away that anything could happen. 

7. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I think this book could be a classic. Great book that will never feel dated. 

8. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I love this book, and since it's about 9/11 it captures one of most influential events of the 21st century, so far. You can read my review here

9. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. This is such an amazing book that I think will be ageless and always wonderful. It's also just so well written and heartbreaking that it would be a pity if it ever became forgotten. You can read my review here

10. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. This is a great book with some beautiful illustrations. That combined with the writing and the original story make it a book that should become a classic for children. You can read my review here

11. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. This is a great book for kids that's full of fun and riddles. I love the whole series, but the first book is definitely the best. You can read my review here.

What books do you guys hope never stop being read?