Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts, Feta, and Quinoa



I have this habit of waiting too long between meals or snacks, to the point that I become a ravenous monster with low blood sugar and wide eyes.
My body needed protein. My body needed substance. My body needed healthy.
And fast!
Even further, I have pork in the slow cooker as a special treat for Chad tonight, so my body needed something vegetarian, too.

So, using the toss-in-whatever-you-have technique, I came up with this dish for my second lunch. 
And I loved it!
When I paused to bless it before diving in, I literally prayed that it would taste good.
And it did!
And there was even quinoa! (You all convinced me to keep trying it. Thank you!)

The roasted brussels sprouts and walnuts give a fantastic heartiness to the protein-packed quinoa.
And feta cheese adds a subtle and creamy saltiness.

Beautiful. Enjoy.



Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts, Feta, and Quinoa

Note: I ate most of this by myself (about two plates-full). Do yourself a favor and make more than it says here, especially if you're having it for dinner. If you're worried about it being filling enough, consider adding some roasted chicken on the side. Also: Feel free to play around with this recipe. I rarely measure things.

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup water

Bring water to a boil and cook quinoa for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed and quinoa has reached your desired consistency (I usually add a little more water around minute 10).
Remove from heat and cover until the other ingredients are ready.

10 brussels sprouts
Olive oil
S&P
Handful of raw walnuts

Chop off the ends of brussels sprouts, then cut them into quarters.
Toss with a good amount of olive oil and S&P.
Roast at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until they're sizzling.
Around minute 9, toss in the walnuts to roast along with the sprouts.

Toss the quinoa with the brussels sprouts and walnuts. Top with feta cheese and serve.
Perhaps with some crusty french bread?