For When You're Under the Weather

via pinterest






































I've never been one to plan out my blog posts. I tried that once (remember the semi-failed holiday series?) and I only posted a few of the posts written in Sharpie on my butcher-paper calendar.

No, blog posts for me come at a moment's notice. I'll just be sitting here on my bed, looking up the definition of selah and listening to Jonsi music, and somehow the mood changes, and I know: I must write on the blog immediately.

So, hello. Here I am.
I've actually had a sick, miserable day of coughs that come from my chest and a sore throat that is only momentarily cured by each honey-lemon cough drop I suck on. I headed off to class at quarter to eight this morning, homemade lemonade in my backpack's drink pouch, and I thought I was going to die during our lecture on Abigail and John Adams (which was, I'm sure, brilliant. I was just feeling awful.).

My dad has always told me that you can push through any sickness with pure willpower. Usually this is true for me, but today I've had to agree with my mom: Put on your socks and robe, and make yourself a big bowl of chicken soup. Add a giant glass of fresh grapefruit juice and spend some time recuperating.
This is okay.

So I've spent the day in pajama pants, drifting in and out of sleep on my white, fluffy bed. 

I did go to the grocery store around two o'clock, because we were out of all easily edible citrus things (hence the homemade lemonade this morning) and the only hot-drink packets in our cupboard were for cocoa, which, let's be honest, coats a raw throat in all the wrong ways.

My trip to the store got me thinking: What are my go-to items when I'm feeling under the weather? Heaven knows I've been blasted with a few too many colds during pregnancy (I'm hoping this is the last round before our baby girl comes next month).

When I'm sick with a cold, I only feel like eating the following:
-grapefruit, either in juice form (Simply Grapefruit) or halved and sectioned to eat with a spoon
-orange slices, Clementines
-lemonade: juice of one lemon + tall glass full of cold water + agave nectar to taste
-Malt-O-Meal with applesauce or canned peaches and cinnamon
-herbal tea, either lemon or orange
-canned peaches or pears with cottage cheese
-applesauce, green apples
-chicken noodle soup, which does not include Top Ramen or Cup-o-Noodles
-homemade Caesar salad: Romaine + juice of one lemon + Worcestershire sauce + minced garlic + olive oil + parmesan + S&P
-buttered toast (sometimes)

When I'm sick with a cold, eating these things just makes my sore throat worse:
-peanut butter
-milk
-yogurt
-creamy anything
-chocolate

When I'm sick with a cold, it helps when I do these things:
-take Dayquil (though off-limits during pregnancy)
-drink lots of water
-do a nasal rinse every couple of hours
-wear socks and slippers
-continue accomplishing things, but
-take it easy, too
-have fresh Kleenex and cough drops at the ready
-stay inspired

What do you eat when you're not feeling good?