Contractions + Lemon Broccoli Pasta with Ricotta Cheese

My latest guess for what Addie will look like / via pinterest






































Let's just say, heading into month nine of pregnancy has taken its toll on my bod.
And my mind.
And my sleep regiment.

Thankfully, my birthday was filled with one-on-one time with my hubby, sushi sushi sushi, a mini shopping spree at the J. Crew factory store, and a body full of energy (p.s. thank you all for your kind birthday wishes! they made me smile, one by one). My wonderful man took the afternoon off to lead me through a list of things that make me happy (taken from my journal, unbeknownst to me).

He gave me a foot massage with minty body butter and even painted my toenails himself as we caught up on Parks & Rec episodes. He had done the dishes, something that makes my mind lighter just thinking about it, and vacuumed the kitchen (yes, our kitchen is carpeted). He had made a hair appointment for me, something I desperately needed, and set aside some birthday money so I could purchase some spring-colored accessories (can you say yellow skinny belt and bright coral flats?).

All in all, my boy took things at my pace and really pampered me.
Birthdays are the very best. So is my husband.

But in the last week, I have been a slow mover indeed. Most recently (last night), I was up until three o'clock. In the a.m. Just snacking on dried cranberries and sifting through Jo's Motherly Monday posts. Unable to be anything but horizontal, because Addie's taken to kicking hard on my hip bones when I stand for too long...which honestly is making me wonder if there isn't something more going on with that pain. Please hold while I call my nurse...

Okay, lesson learned: Nurse Julie said that a contraction consists of a couple different things. First, you can't carry on a conversation during it. Second, if you change positions (lie down when you were standing up, for example), the pain does not go away. Third, you'll know if you're having contractions. The verdict for today? I'm not having contractions--just experiencing the common discomforts of pregnancy. You know, just all the common, perfectly normal things that happen--like being kicked in the hip all day. Yep, normal.

Addie-girl is just growing and growing these days, which makes for a slightly uncomfortable mama and a very squished baby. I think that's where the pain is coming from: She has no more room to kick except into my bones! As long as I resolve to take it easy, realizing that it's okay to mostly be on the couch during the day (as long as I'm accomplishing things from my computer), I should be able to avoid or at least diminish a lot of the discomfort.

Oh, pregnancy. What a learning experience you are. I can only imagine what mothering will be like!







































Pregnancy updates aside, I'd like to leave you with an easy, tastes-fresh-like-summer pasta dish (you know how I love pasta!). This meal combines three of my loves--citrus, whole wheat pasta, and roasted broccoli--and adds a budding favorite, ricotta cheese. Toss it all together and, my dear, you will close your eyes in delight. Let me know if you decide to give it a go! I know you'll love it.

Lemon Broccoli Pasta with Ricotta Cheese



Cut up a head of broccoli. Sprinkle with the juice of one lemon, some zest if you're feeling bold, olive oil, and S&P. Roast at 425 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.

Toss with cooked whole-wheat spaghetti and more lemon juice. Top with dollops of ricotta cheese, S&P, and parmesan.