A Baby Shower + Becky's Breakfast Pudding

From a journal entry dated 21. January 2012

Dear Baby Girl,

From the moment I awoke this morning I knew it was going to be a happy day. Even without my contacts in I could tell that the sky was gray and the clouds were low. With any luck we'd have a little rainfall today. And we did. Rain turned to hail turned to snow; never once did the precipitation cease and I have enjoyed every moment of getting lost in it as I look out the window.

You see, today, my sweet girl, was a party for you! Your baby shower! Many wonderful women filled the living room: some squeezed onto the couches, others sat on mismatched chairs, and a few even sat cross legged on the floor. All for you!



I loved celebrating you with such classy women. Kaylie made a stack of crepes that we served with fresh berries and whipped cream. Becky made a delicious breakfast pudding (like the rice pudding Grandpa makes on Christmas Eve, only this one had dried cranberries and pecans and lots of cinnamon mixed in). Kaylie and Kendra hung signs and taped up balloons outside to lead the girls upstairs to our part of the house. And Brooke brought some yummy fruit that she sprinkled with cinnamon and nutmeg like she always does.

Becky made some beautiful garlands out of fabric and string; she's going to make the birdy one into a mobile to hang over your crib! She did such a good job picking out just the right colors and patterns for you: light yellows and greens, white with tiny rosebuds. I'm really grateful she took such thoughtful time preparing our little celebration. It was absolutely perfect.

(Daddy got to go snowboarding with his friends Jordan and Jesse. Jordan lent him a pass so we didn't even have to pay! They're on their way home right now. I keep texting him to make sure they're doing okay in the storm. Dad says the roads are pretty messy, but they're driving slowly and being safe.)



After everyone had filed through the kitchen and loaded up their plates with brunch, Becky led the group in introducing themselves. Everyone said their name and how they know me, and then they each said a wish they have for you.

All those tender wishes seemed like little prayers of goodwill towards you: that you'll have a happy smile, a good laugh, twinkling eyes. That you won't teethe too early, that you'll sleep well during the night, that you'll have a passion for life like your mom and dad (we do, too!). But most of all, your friends wished that you will be healthy.

I sure wish for that, too. When the girls asked me what my wish would be, I said that for now I just pray that you'll be healthy. Once I'm holding you in my arms, once I know that you are warm and comfortable, I'll be able to wish for other things.

But for now, little one, know that there are lots of people who love you already. And today, all in a group, they sent wishes your way. I love you, darling girl.

Love, Mama

Fantastic photos courtesy of Becky from Baby Making by Becky

Becky's Breakfast Pudding
Also courtesy of Becky
NOTE: Brown rice will either need to soak beforehand or be cooked for longer before going into the oven. 
NOTE 2: Soy milk doesn't work particularly well in this recipe. 

4 cups milk, divided in half
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
pinch of salt
1 cup oatmeal or granola
1/4 cup ground pecans
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large saucepan bring 2 cups of milk to a boil with rice and dried cranberries / raisins. Add melted butter and reduce heat. Stir constantly for five minutes, and then remove from heat.

In a separate bowl, blend eggs, other 2 cups milk, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add cooked rice mixture (from the stove) to egg mixture (in the bowl) and stir well.

Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish and sprinkle oatmeal / granola on top.

Bake for 20 minutes, and then sprinkle with pecans and spices.

Bake for another 20 minutes until pudding is solidified.

Serve warm or cold (I loved it warm right from the oven!).