Empty Cupboards: Day 2 / Belgian Waffles and Veggie Frittata

The Empty-Cupboards Challenge is turning out to be even more exciting (and budget-friendly) than I expected! Once I made myself realize that going to the store wasn't an option, it's as if another world opened up for me. Here's what graced our dinner table tonight:






































Day 2: Crispy Belgian Waffles with Roasted Vegetable Frittata
Watching my mother cook when I was a young girl introduced me to my love for food, and ever since, I have loved observing other people at work in their own kitchens. My friend Nicole once asked me to take the reins on making waffles from the batter she had whipped up. I was surprised to find that before pouring the batter into the iron, her recipe insisted that egg whites be folded in to the batter. What a concept! I decided to try this idea on my own and was delighted by the result: crispy, fluffy, perfect waffles that, when drizzled with pure maple syrup, are comparable to candy.

Not wanting to pair these candy-waffles with regular fried eggs, I decided on a frittata with plenty of veggies and flavor. If I were to make this egg dish again--when I had more ingredients--I would add a creamy cheese to the eggs and add mushrooms to the mix. Otherwise, the finished product was lovely.  


The Waffles 
Inspired by Nicole and serious eats 

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites

In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center.

In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in milk and oil.

Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (should be lumpy, but be sure to get the big lumps out).

In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up).

Gently fold egg whites into flour and egg yolk mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white, Do not overmix.

Spoon waffle batter into your waffle iron, making sure not to overfill it. 

Serve with real maple syrup and unsalted butter. 

The Frittata
Inspired by 101 Cookbooks

1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red potato, thinly sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced
6 eggs, well beaten
1 tomato, sliced
S&P

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

In a 9.5-in round baking dish, stir together onions and olive oil, adding salt and pepper to taste. Place in preheated oven for five minutes or until onions begin to brown. Remove from oven.

Add potato and green pepper to the baking dish, stir to coat, and return dish to oven. Roast for about five minutes or until potatoes are just barely cooked through. Remove from oven.

Pour in eggs, but do not mix into vegetables. Top with salt and pepper, and return to oven for exactly nine minutes. Frittata will be puffy and slightly browned on the edges when done. 

Top with sliced tomatoes to serve.