A Soulmate Book and Some Chocolate Cake

I have been reading this book every night before sleeptime and, oh heavens--Molly Wizenberg shares part of my soul. This is the sort of book / personal history / in-honor-of-food-and-life memoir I could see myself writing some day. I love the way each chapter is long enough to acquaint me with the author deeply and personally, but short enough to keep me interested in what's going on. (Confession: Though I'm an English major and head-over-heels-for-words person, I have a hard time finishing books. I never have a problem finishing cookbooks though...)

At the bottom of page 90, just after Molly's serving suggestions for vanilla bean buttermilk cake, I wrote: "Molly W is the type of writer and cook that effortlessly talks you out of eating anything normal or bland and talks you into indulging in a single scoop of zesty lemon sorbet sprinkled with raspberries instead." This book recommends indulgence; in fact, I dare you to read one chapter without munching on a piece of fine cheese or a French pastry. Her imagery is that good.

Read this book. Mark it up. Turn down the corners of each recipe page.
Then buy another copy for your favorite foodie friend. Because she will love it too.
'Tis the season, folks.


No matter if you're postponing the Christmas movies until after this Thursday or if you've been listening to holiday tunes for a month now (me...), the weather outside your window has at least been bordering on frightful lately, right?
I love frightful weather.
It inspires a wardrobe of sweats and moccasins and encourages a night in with a cozy movie.
And a cozy, indulgent treat.
What better treat than a warm, gooey chocolate cake that's ready in five minutes start to finish?

Chocolate cake has always been a little too rich for me, but this recipe gives Chad and me just enough sweetness to satisfy our my late-night cravings. I love putting a couple spoonfuls of this and a splash of that into my mug and then coming out with molten chocolate cake. The chocolate will even ooze over the top and drip down the sides of the cup a little, if you're lucky. And I would bet that you have all the ingredients to make this in your cupboard right now.

The outcome will only improve if you use high-quality cocoa powder and chocolate chunks, but I've made this recipe with Hershey's cocoa and semi-sweet chocolate chips, and it turned out perfectly fine. In the days ahead, I want to try adding crushed peppermint stick, orange zest, or hazelnut flavoring; I'm sure a subtle complementary flavor would be divine. Just stir it in with the eggs and milk.

Do me a favor, my friend. Sometime this week, cuddle up to a Christmas flick (or a good book!) while clutching a mug of this chocolatey goodness and a big glass of milk. This dessert will only enhance your cozy experience.

Molten Chocolate Cake in a Mug
Inspired by a little zaftig

Makes enough for one mug

4 tablespoons whole wheat flour (of course all-purpose works fine)
2 tablespoons agave nectar (or 4 T sugar)
4 tablespoons cocoa powder 
1 large egg, well beaten
3 tablespoons whole milk
4 tablespoons canola oil
½ cup high quality chocolate chunks (I used 70% cocoa, smooth dark Lindt, chopped with a large knife)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large mug, stir together the flour, sugar, and cocoa powder.

Stir in the egg, milk, oil, and vanilla.

When well combined, stir in the chocolate chunks.

Microwave for two minutes (or three minutes if you're doing two mugs). That's it!