#104: Dainty Maid Bake Shop

I've previously written about how much I love Cambodian Thai, and so it was with some measure of guilt that I recently realized that I had never visited its immediate next-door neighbor, the Dainty Maid Bake Shop. In light of this realization, I stopped in a couple of days ago and found, as I should have expected, an incredibly vast array of all kinds of baked goods. I stood for several minutes in front of the glass cases filled with cookies, cakes, and other pastries, unable to make a decision. After finally settling on a snickerdoodle (out of sheer desperation); the only real decision I made was that I would have to come back.


The inside of the shop is pretty small but they do have several small tables by the window which I imagine would be a great place to catch-up with a friend on some wintry South Bend afternoon. In addition to the baked goods on display, Dainty Maid is also pretty well-known in the community for the speciality cakes including wedding cakes.

Where: 231 South Michigan Street
When: 6am-4pm, Mon-Sat

For more information about Dainty Maid, visit their website here.

Fun Fact #1: The Dainty Maid Bake Shop has been in existence since 1928.

Fun Fact #2: While I was there they were offering a pretty great sale on tea cookies. After purchasing a dozen of the small cookies for around $5, you could purchase a 2nd dozen for only 25 cents!